This is such a great blog! I learn so much from her insights.
Society has provided abusers with many excuses that they try to take advantage of to dismiss or justify their actions. I hear these all the time, and I cringe when I do.
There is no excuse for abuse.
Here are some “reasons” I suspect you will recognize:
- He was inebriated from drugs or alcohol
- you choose to drink. You choose to abuse. If you get violent when drunk, don’t drink. It’s a choice.
- He was abused as a child
- many people are abused as children and go on to make better choices
- He “corrects” because he cares about me
- violence is not caring or loving actions
- you are an adult, not a child to be corrected
- He has a mental illness
- If he knows he has a mental illness, he has a responsibility to seek treatment
- He didn’t mean it
- yes, he did
- He was upset about work
- and how is that your fault?
View original post 499 more words